How to Make a Neuron Buddy
Making a Neuron Buddy is a fantastic hands-on learning experience to teach children about neurons.
Our brains have over 100 billion neurons, all working together to create thoughts, feelings and memories.
An individual neuron can't think, feel or create a memory, they need to work as a team. Each neuron receives, processes and transmits information. Information is received by the dendrites, processed by the cell body and transmitted by the axon.
The power of our brain depends on the number and the strength of connections between our neurons. Each neuron can be connected to over 1000 other neurons.
What you'll need
1 piece of white card (wide enough to cover the opening of the cup)
1 strip of white card (approx. 2cm wide)
1 piece of coloured card (wide enough to cover the base of the cup)
1 white ping pong ball
1 plastic cup
Sequins or glitter
1 white straw
1 coloured straw
1 coloured pipe cleaner
45cm of coloured wool (approx.)
2 x sponges
01. Take a piece of white card.
02. Place the cup upside down on the card.
03. Trace around the cup.
04. Cut around the circle.
05. Take a strip of white card (approx. 2cm wide).
06. Curl the card around a pencil or pen to create a small pipe.
07. Tape around the side of the pipe to keep it in shape.
08. Take two sponges.
09. Add a dollop of paint to each sponge.
10. Place a ping pong ball in the paint.
11. Roll the ping pong ball between the two sponges.
12. Once covered in paint, leave it to dry.
13. Take the white card circle.
14. Glue the pipe in the centre of the circle.
15. Glue the ping pong ball on top of the pipe.
16. Take the plastic cup and the sequins.
17. Glue sequins (or anything else you fancy) to the cup.
18. Take a white straw.
19. Cut 1 x 4.5cm length.
20. Take the cup and the straw.
21. Glue the straw vertically on the side of the cup.
22. Take a coloured piece of card.
23. Place the cup right-side up on the card.
24. Trace around the cup.
25. Cut around the circle.
26. Fold the circle in half.
27. Lay the circle flat again.
28. Cut 9 equal lengths of wool.
29. Tape the wool to the top half of the circle.
30. Turn the card over and glue the eyes in place.
31. Bend the coloured card at a right angle and glue the bottom half to the top of the cup.
32. Take a pipe cleaner and bend it as follows.
33. Take the coloured straw.
34. Cut 3 x 1cm lengths.
35. Slide 3 pieces of coloured straw over the pipe cleaner.
36. Bend the end of the pipe cleaner.
37. Glue the bottom of the cup to the white card circle.
38. Slide the bent end of the pipe cleaner into the top of the straw on the side of the cup.